The Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), in coordination with every concerned department, agency or Local Government Unit (LGU), shall include vocational rehabilitation training of disabled as a component of its continuing human resources development program and shall exert efforts to integrate that thrust into its corporate plans. Such components may take the form of research material production, training design and administration, or evaluation and monitoring.
Vocational Rehabilitation Program
In adopting the component of vocational rehabilitation, each agency or local government unit (LGU), in coordination with TESDA, shall:
- Prepare a Comprehensive Support Plan based on the assessment of training needs and skills inventory of disabled employees which will be provided by the Department of Social and Welfare Development (DSWD).
- Design, implement and evaluate, a specific and appropriate program which the agency or LGU can manage, direct and control within its organizational framework and capacity. Such programs shall include, but not be limited, to the following:
- Orientation Program which is intended to inform disabled employees about the department, agency or LGU programs, thrusts and operations.
- Social Adjustment/Personality/Development Program which is intended to equip disabled persons with the dynamics of interpersonal relationships as well as public relations skills and to prepare them for greater responsibilities.
- Technical Program in specific areas which is intended to enhance the skills and knowledge of disabled employees for livelihood and gainful employment.
- Values Development Program which is intended to generate positive attitudes of disabled persons and to harness service values of participants to be effective employees.
- Entrepreneurial Opportunity Program which is intended to familiarize disabled persons who wish to enter into business ventures, the mechanics of business as well as available business opportunities or other productive endeavors.
- Any department, agency or LGU may enter into cooperative undertakings with other departments, agencies or LGUs, as the case may be, to develop and implement an appropriate vocational program for disabled persons.
Facilities for Vocational Rehabilitation
- Each LGU shall provide adequate and affordable facilities for vocational rehabilitation projects. Said facilities shall include infrastructure, funding and manpower.
- A Livelihood Promotion Committee shall be established in every LGU. Said Committee shall be tasked to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate vocational rehabilitation programs for disabled persons residing in rural areas.
- The Livelihood Promotion Committee shall be comprised of a designated Community Development Officer permanently employed in the LGU, a ranking NGO official, and a disabled person nominated by concerned groups in the LGU involved in livelihood programs.
Vocational Guidance and Counseling
The DSWD shall:
- Provide vocational guidance and counseling for disabled persons.
- Ensure the availability of trained counselors and staff for this purpose.