Venture capital (VC) is funding invested, or available for investment, in an enterprise that offers the probability of profit along with the possibility of loss. Indeed, venture capital was once known also as risk capital, but that term has fallen out of usage, probably because investors don't like to see the words "risk" and "capital" in close conjunction.
The Venture Capital industry in Malaysia, is playing a vital role in being a pillar for the economic development of Malaysia by 2020.The development of the economy, would largely depend on the growth in sectors based on knowledge and technology. The growth of these sectors would depend on the availability of funding from sources such as the venture capital industry and private equity.
As a result the Malaysian Venture Capital Association (MVCA) was established on 27 February 1995, with the aim to develop and promote the venture capital industry in Malaysia.
Objectives of the Venture Capital Industry
- Promote, develop and maintain a venture capital industry.
- Encourage the promotion, research and analysis of venture capital in Malaysia.
- Promote cooperation among members.
- Set benchmark and develop the highest standard of professional ethics in the venture capital industry.
- Activities of MVCA
- Conferences and symposiums on venture capital and issues.
- Regular forum among members on the latest issues pertaining to venture capital.
- Make presentations to Government agencies or bodies on behalf of the members on regulatory issues and formation of new venture activities.
- Collate, circulate and disseminate commercial statistics related to the venture capital industry.
- Collaboration with other venture capital association in the region and other parts of the world for the advancement of the venture capital industry in Malaysia.
- Publish and circulate newsletter containing news on the activities and progress of member companies and potential venture opportunities.
Last Updated on: 18-11-2009